The Société Jersiaise was founded in January 1873 by Islanders interested in the history, the language and the antiquities of Jersey. Its original museum found a permanent home in 1893 at 9 Pier Road, a large early nineteenth century merchant’s house. Their collections are now looked after under an agreement with Jersey Heritage but the Société continues to add material annually.
In 1977 it built a large extension which is today the Société’s headquarters housing a library, the photographic archive, meeting rooms and purpose-built storage. The Société has a range of sections for members, covering different aspects of our history, as well as holding regular public talks and other events.